MUSHROOM TOAST (WHOLE 30, GLUTEN FREE, PALEO)
April 2018 | The Honest Spoon
I know it's not shocking news when I tell you my kids are PICKY Not only are the picky, they truly don't know how lucky they are with the spectrum of foods I make for them. I keep telling myself they will appreciate my culinary skills at some point. That point will probably happened sometime in college when they wish they would have paid closer attention to what was happening in the kitchen!!
My kids are NOT fans of mushrooms. They never have been. They will eat a sliced mushroom on pizza- but that's about as far as it goes. So, after making them their usual eggs I started in on a "special" version for my me and my husband. The whole time I'm making it #1 is asking me questions about why I think mushrooms and toast are a good combination. #2 is quite literally ready to gag at the thought. And me? I'm just a girl trying to power through her first coffee without having to engage before I'm fully awake and ready for their inquisition.
Anyway....I finish up making the "adult" version of breakfast and e sit down to eat with the kids. My boys look curious (as I knew they would be), so I plate them their own piece of toast to share. #1 looks dubious but interested and I give him the same line I ALWAYS give him- "Do you honestly think I'm going to feed you something that tastes bad?" He knows the drill, but takes his time to make a decision. I sit back and get ready for the show. These eggs are crazy delicious and I know he's going to love them.
He takes his first bite- which he meticulously composed with the right amount of toast to mushroom to egg ratio- and his eyes dart to me with an incredulous expression. "Mamma, I haven't lived"......HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH oh man! I laughed so hard I hard tears in my eyes. Needless to say, the Mushroom Toast was a GIANT success. even #2, who has become incredibly picky said, "Mamma, you HAVE TO put this on your blog. People are missing out!". So, my friends, this post come to you at the request of #1 and #2- my boys. I hope you enjoy it! Also, side note, it's a great option for our Paleo, GF, and Whole 30 friends.
As per my usual style, you are going to need just a few ingredients:
Cauliflower Toast or bread of your choice
| Makes 2 |
- 2 large organic eggs, poached
- 1 small box crimini mushrooms-, wiped clean, stems removed & sliced.
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon chives, chopped. for garnish
- 2 pieces of cauliflower toast or toasted bread of choice
1. Melt ghee in a non stick skillet on low/ medium heat. Add shallot and sauté until just starting to turn golden.
2. Add mushrooms, salt, pepper, and stir thoroughly.
3. Cover and cook on low/ simmer heat for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are wilted down. There should be some moisture in the pan. If it is too dry, add one or two tablespoons of water. Turn of heat.
4. placed prepared toast on plate, add mushrooms, and place poached egg on top. Garnish with chives and a small dash of salt and pepper.
Enjoy! You can store the cooked mushrooms in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, up to 5 days. This helps make it a quick mid week breakfast or lunch!
1. For super FAST poached eggs, or poached eggs on the go- Poach your eggs in the microwave with this handy little guy right here. It's inexpensive and awesome. Keep one at home and one at work. I always add a couple drops of water to the poacher before adding the eggs. This helps them steam and prevents the rubbery texture you can get with cooking eggs in the microwave. In about 45 seconds, eggs will poach to soft/ medium . So FAST!