HOLY GRAIL BUTTERMILK PANCAKES
January 2018 | The Honest Spoon
That's it! The search is over! O-V-E-R! I have tried more than a respectable amount of recipes for buttermilk pancakes, It's pretty ridiculous actually. Who would have ever thought it would have taken so long? Certainly not me!
Now, I realize everyone's tastes are different. I do not like a batter that is too sweet. Nor do I want my pancakes tasting like a vanilla cake. I like my pancakes fluffy and with the ever so slight tang that only buttermilk can bring. It's ironic really. I just joined the buttermilk bandwagon a few years ago. Now buttermilk has become a staple in my kitchen. I use it for white bread I make in the bread machine, waffles, and biscuits. These items are in heavy rotation at Chez Honest Spoon.
This recipe makes about 8-12 pancakes- depending on how big you make them. For my family of four, one recipe is enough. It can be easily doubled and leftovers freeze well. Store them in a zipper top freezer bag, and pancakes are layered flat with parchment in between. They keep well up to four weeks in the freezer.
These pancakes can be made in two simple steps. Mix together the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients separately. Much like my waffles recipe, I use a 4 Cup measuring cup as a mixing bowl. No need to dirty more dishes than necessary! Then, mix them together and start your pancakes.
Also, I have had a lot of questions about what I use to cook the pancakes. Electric Griddle? Cooktop griddle pan? I use a cooktop pan. It gets the job done for the four of us. Also, I have about three million kitchen electronics, gadgets, pans, and platters combined. The cooktop griddle can s=work in several situations and it's easier for me to store. Just watch your temperature when using a cooktop griddle. Keep it on medium-low heat so your pancakes cook thoroughly and evenly on both sides. If you are part of the "gooey pancake tribe", I will save my judgment for later. In the meantime, for gooey pancakes (a little raw batter inside), cook on medium high and enjoy yourself. You and my brother can start a gooey pancake club.
HOLY GRAIL BUTTERMILK PANCAKES
| makes 8-10 |
2 Cups Flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 Cups Buttermilk
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
2. Add the dry ingredients to a bowl. Whisk together.
3. In a separate bowl or large capacity mixing cup, add the wet ingredients. Whisk together well.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Whisk together. Use the whisk to reduce any large clumps.
5. If needed, spray griddle lightly with a nonstick cooking spray. Or, use about a teaspoon of butter.
6. Ladle about 1/2 cup of batter into circles on heated griddle. Aim for pancakes about 4-5 inches in diameter. Repeat for as many pancakes can fit on your griddle. Leave about one inch between pancakes so you have room to flip! TIP: If you want to add something like blueberries (fresh or frozen) or Chocolate chips NOW is the time. See pics above!
7. Cook each side about 2-3 minutes, until golden brown on each side.
8. Serve immediately or keep warm in an oven that has been preheated to 185 degrees. Keep in oven no more than 30 minutes.