DECONSTRUCTED EGG ROLL WRAPS [WHOLE 30, GLUTEN FREE, PALEO]
August 2018 | The Honest Spoon
You guys! To say I've been absent is a complete understatement!! We recently bought a house, then summer hit and we've been on "explorer mode" ever since. Things have been crazy busy and super hectic at Chez Honest Spoon. We've been enjoying the crazy hot weather here in Portland these past couple weeks. Though some complain about the heat, I can tell you, in all honesty, that I absolutely LOVE it!! Bring on the HEAT!!!!
That said, we have been grilling practically every night like grilling fools. Between camping and home, we've been grilling at least once a day- every day. Truth be told, I'm a bit burned out it......GASP.....I NEVER thought I'd utter those words. So today I am sharing a quick, easy and healthy meal that is perfect for any time of the year- but especially summer!! This will come together in 30 minutes- start to finish.
The key to success here is to buy the cabbage & carrots pre-shredded. It will save you a ton of time! I made q quick trip to Trader Joe's and picked up the ground chicken, shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, and lettuce (for the cups/ wraps). Their prices on shredded veggies are super affordable and it saves so much time for a quick mid-week meal.
First, if you are planning on having this with a side of rice, start your rice now. That way it will be ready by the time you are done with the wraps. For the wraps, you'll start by sauteing the onion, then add the minced garlic and ginger. I also use the fresh minced ginger from Trader Joes. It makes things quick and easy and keeps fresh for some time. Once you've mixed the onion/ garlic/ ginger you will add the ground chicken. Cook thoroughly and mix well with the onion mixture. Add the chili sauce, cabbage, carrots, and green onions. I had a couple zucchini I needed to use, so I shredded them up and added it too. Last you will add salt, pepper, and a dash of sesame oil, Cover it and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. That's it, you're done. Load it into some lettuce cups and dinner is ready!
DECONSTRUCTED EGG ROLL WRAPS [WHOLE 30, GF, PALEO]
| Serves 4 |
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1/2 head garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or ghee
- 1 10oz bag shredded cabbage
- 1 1/2 C shredded carrots
- 2 zucchini, shredded
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced fine
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- I head iceberg or butter lettuce for wraps
- chopped cilantro
- sliced green onion or chives
- toasted sesame seeds
1. Saute Onion in olive oil or ghee in a large nonstick skillet until starting to turn clear. Add garlic and ginger. Stir and saute stay for about one minute. Add ground chicken.
2. Brown chicken and cook thoroughly. Add chili garlic sauce & mix.
3. Add cabbage, carrot, zucchini, sesame oil, salt & pepper. Mix and cover. Simmer on low for about 10 minutes until cabbage is tender,
4. While the chicken mixture is simmering, prep garnish. Chop Cilantro, green onions or chives, and toast sesame seeds.
5. Serve Chicken with lettuce cups- I use either Iceberg or Butter Lettuce. Enjoy!